Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Art

Hello Void....

Every so often Taxi Mum and I walk along the streets of Victoria with boy, or sit at our local coffee shop and I see Art ( and I don't mean Arthur ).  I always try to understand where the artist is coming from, are they looking to share some of their thoughts, feelings, expressions and creativity with us or are we, as their target audience, influencing what they create (as we all live in a capitalist marketplace).  Although I can appreciate the work and thought that goes into something to make it aesthetically pleasing to some (not always me...and thats ok) I do not always like it...sorry....but it's the truth. 

Some Art, however, gets me every time.  I often go to my favorite link page (here) and pick a frame / bicycle builder. Now this is not an exhaustive list (and please...if you have more, let me know) but I cannot but be amazed at the beauty of these frames. I am a new school, old school guy (Steel is real...again....after my carbon and aluminum bikes) and I cannot say enough for the classic styling of a polished, lugged steel frame (Here goes the miscellaneous plug for a bike I cannot afford, and the bike I hope to show up on my Tattoo). 

Trust me folks, these craftsmen (and women) create truly amazing Art (and I certainly apreicate it as such) and I thank them for giving me beautiful pieces to behold every day.  Even bikes I would not personally ride, I think are beautiful. The time, talent and work that goes into each and every one of these is amazing.

Now...if I could only win the lottery....

Happy riding all
D.C.

No comments: