Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Are These Better than a Car?

Another Shout into the Void...

Well, Taxi Mum and I are trying to decide what (if any) bike we should next purchase to transport Boy and possible siblings as well as Dog 1 and Dog2. Let me tell ya...there are lots of choices. My first thought (and still my favorite) is a Surly Big Dummy. I have to say, this is by far the nicest cargo bike out there...come on, what other type of bike can you put neon lights and a blender on! I've got great thoughts of putting a blender full of fruit and milk on the back en route to work and coming in 4 Km later with a nice smoothie! (I'll have to find a good way to strap it down though!) Taxi Mum will also get a break as I can carry both her and Boy on it.  If you put on the wide loaders you can even put on two dog crates to take them down for a run on the beach. I have a certain build in mind (as always...expensive) and I think it would be the cats arse. 

Taxi Mum has some other ideas however. She was looking at Rain City Cycles  in Vancouver and saw a Bakfiest cargo bike and some cargo trikes, although I already stated I would not be partaking in a Trike ride, although I like Elizabeth May (see campaign trail 2), I'll only go so far. The Bakfiest bikes do have some other benefits however. The long box can easily carry 3 + kids, dogs and groceries, this is definitely has its advantages, however, I would have to clear out the garage to fit it inside! I do wonder though, can I still fit the neon lights??

Alas, this decision is really one of how can we further decrease our dependence on our $300.00 a month lawn ornament (a.k.a. Toyota Matrix). I do believe that one of these bicycle will help Taxi Mum get past some of those days where the "elements" just seem to be too much, hey I can't blame her, who wants to be sick, or worse yet, be at home with a sick Boy!

Well... I should be getting out there to clean off my lawn gnomes and Matrix. 
Cheers All
D.C.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I don't know whether this will help but I share it anyway. I bought a bakfiets cargobike with the long box two years ago. I never use a car under 10km and take my three kids (now aged 8.5 4.5 and 2.5) everywhere I need to go. The older one is now a bit tall to fit under the rain canopy but she enjoys sunny days tours in "Mum's big bike". No one of us never got sick because of the bike but I leave in the south of France.